Friday 2 May 2014

SPRING WRONGDOING SPECIAL!

Hello again, and welcome to the May edition of The Autolycan.  This Spring Special seems to focus on the theme of wrongdoing.  I don't know why.  However, there is a story about robbing banks in Denver, and then we move on to misbehaviour by our elected representatives.  

It's all very odd, but if you like it do please, as normal, pass the link on to others.  Thanks.

READING, 'RITING AND ROBBERY

A fugitive bank robber crosses the t’s and dots the i’s on his demand notes so well that law enforcement officials call the suspect the “Good Grammar Bandit.”
It’s well punctuated, there’s proper sentence structure, the spelling is correct,” FBI Denver spokesman Dave Joly told ABC News. “He did a nice job.”
                                                                                                                           ABC News


I never went to school in Denver, but I get the feeling I would have felt very much at home there if I had. This chap who's been robbing banks over there, and whose grammar has so impressed the local police, does great credit to the Denver Public Schools Board, whose evident educational philosophy in these matters brings to mind so many poignant memories of my boys' grammar school in the 1960s.

Many of you will have met Basher Clark – my old English teacher – before, and it will come as no surprise that for our early, tentative, robberies those of us who fell under his tutelage were expected to produce demand notes which were beautifully handwritten and displayed perfect grammar, punctuation and spelling. What's more, we were for many years the only school in the area where boys were required to include at least one literary allusion drawn from the classics in their demand notes - 'and make sure it's both relevant and pertinent, boy.' This was backed up by a no nonsense approach to Maths and a concentration on modern languages which would enable the aspirational robber to ply his future trade across what were deemed to be the more congenial bits of a European Union whose generally unforeseeable existence was nonetheless so perceptively foreseen.

And Latin! What better way to bamboozle a nervous bank clerk into unquestioning compliance than to drop a snatch of Latin into a demand note! What a coup de grâce to sign one's note not with the pedestrian The Good Grammar Bandit but with the rather more polished Bona Grammatica Insidiatoris – (and thank you Google Translate, although it may be some time before the linguistic community at large accepts your confident assertion that the Latin for coup de grâce is knockout.)

What's more, if the going did get rough, there was always rugby to fall back on. A cool expertise in trip and tackle, a jinking body swerve here, a hand off there and disorder could readily be restored should a more than usually spirited bank clerk show signs of resistance. And despite Mr Williams' (PE) clarion exhortations, we didn't have to worry about the offside laws because most of us couldn't. All those years of turning out on muddy Games afternoons and nobody once explained offside. But if a roughhouse did develop inside the bank, and Plan B did turn out to be necessary, what elderly 1960s teller – more often pin stripes and breast pocket handkerchief in those days than short skirt and winning smile – would be equal to the villainous tactics of schoolboy ruck and maul?

No, the class of '64 was well set to become a flourishing generation of Clydes. We may have lacked our Bonnies, but we gamely made up for the girls' grievous absence with impeccably composed and unfailingly courteous demand notes to thrust at bank clerks.

I still treasure my own first effort, presented to a slightly startled chap at the local District Bank as a practical exercise under the watchful eye of Mr Chalmers (Maths) who was masquerading as the next customer in the queue. I shuffled nervously from one foot to the other, and felt for the first time that urgent churning in the stomach that I never fully conquered no matter how much experience I later accumulated. It was not until my turn at the counter came - and I realised that my terrified squeak was high pitched enough to set distant dogs howling - that I first fully appreciated why old Chalmers had insisted on us producing a written note.

The clerk betrayed no emotion as his intimidating gaze penetrated and dissected my very soul. 'And how may I help?' he intoned forbiddingly. It was not so much a question as a threat. I reached into my satchel, withdrew my note with trembling fingers and passed it under his window.

First lesson – don't bother with an envelope; it wastes time and irritates them. Second lesson – if you do bother with an envelope (don't), don't put what you think is a comical address on the front. Continuing the address as far as '….England, The World, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe' might if you're very lucky cause a brief giggle at the back of 2b on a wet Thursday in November, but it will only irritate the teller. Again.

He unfolded my letter and read it dispassionately.

'Good morning, sir' I had begun, 'I am a second year pupil at Pretty Boy Floyd Grammar and am undertaking a short introductory course in bank robbery as part of my studies in Economics. This course results from some innovative collaboration involving the Maths and English departments, and I would like to thank Mr Chalmers (Maths) and Basher, sorry, Dr Clark (English) for their pioneering development work.

It really gives me quite a thrill to write - for the first time! - that my purpose this morning is to hold the bank up and ask for money. Dr Clark suggested that I consider being more assertive and 'demand' the money, but we agreed that I should be true to myself and not be too aggressive this early in my career. I also don't wish to be too greedy on my first attempt, and would therefore be grateful if you would kindly supply me with the sum of ten pounds for which I will gladly provide a receipt. No doubt my Mum will insist that I write a thank you letter as well.

I do hope that this is acceptable to you and the bank. And please don't be angry with me. Remember that he who steals your purse steals trash; ’tis something, nothing; twas yours, ’tis mine, and has been slave to thousands.

I realise that you are probably very busy, but would be grateful if you could also let me have any comments you may wish to make on my performance this morning, and indeed on the contents and style of this letter. I am sure this would help me in my future career. Thank you for all your help and consideration.

Spero omnes bene!

Yours faithfully

Bona Grammatica Insidiatoris

I was particularly proud of getting the Shakespearian bit in and couldn't wait for Basher to see it. So you can imagine my shame and embarrassment at not getting the £10, and this was compounded back at school at what would now be called the debriefing. Old Chalmers was kind enough about some of my note, but insisted that I critically compare another failed demand note from history to my own. It was only when I saw the glaring errors in someone else's work that I truly appreciated my own failure.

He tossed a book at me. 'Read the marked passage, boy' he said, and I had to stand to read aloud.

Esteemed and honoured sir,

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman in possession of but little fortune must be in want of funds. I am dismayed that my last application to you for a loan was summarily rejected, and with a heavy heart I have now determined to employ less ladylike but more direct means. I solemnly entreat that you do exactly as I say, whereupon I can aver with the utmost certitude that nobody will get hurt. It would pain me more than I can express were you to prove unable or unwilling to comply and I had on that account to resort to a regrettable display of vexatiousness and to breaking things. Moreover I should be exceedingly obliged if you did not even think about calling the filth, an eventuality which would indubitably provoke the most unseemly and regrettable fracas and a most grievous assault upon your respectable and respected person. I pray that you know what I mean?

I earnestly desire that you shall be so good as to fill the bag which Simpkins there is carrying with swag and release it into my custody. I assure you that you will thereafter be forever sensible of my warmest gratitude.

I beg to remain your most humble servant,

'Stop!' Old Chalmers held up his hand and I had to explain publicly how my long winded and overly courteous approach was comparable to Miss Austen's failed effort, although minus her trademark brutality and thuggishness. 'Now,' he went on, 'turn to the very end of the book and read the marked passage. I want you to notice how the language has changed, how it's become more compact, vibrant. I want you to feel its power and urgency.'

I read again. The scene was evidently just after a payroll robbery in Bolivia. The hero and heroine – the robbers – were in the gravest danger. They were holed up in an empty house, wounded, out of ammunition and surrounded by dozens of soldiers all armed to the teeth and eager to shoot.

'Mr Darcy : Ready? OK, when we get outside and we get to the horses, whatever happens, just remember one thing... hey, wait a minute.

Miss Bennet : What? You didn't see Lefors out there, did you?

Mr Darcy : Lefors? No.

Miss Bennet : Oh, good. For a moment there I thought we were in trouble.

They both run out of the building, only to be met with gunfire from all sides from the Bolivian army.'

A hand at the back, braver than mine, shot up.

'Sir,' began its owner 'how should we interpret Miss Bennet's reference to thinking she'd got into trouble with Mr Darcy?'

I must say old Chalmers handled that one magnificently, effortlessly evading the trap by pointing out that Darcy and Miss Bennet had landed themselves in trouble in large part through not being able to compose a competent demand note in Spanish. Should we wish to avoid the same mistake when next in Spain and raiding the Santander, he went on, Señor Rodriguez, that year's Spanish assistant, was always available to help out after school on Mondays.


I sometimes think of that group of eager, wide eyed boys, all no doubt now transformed into balding and paunchy doctors and accountants, engineers and teachers. As far as I know not one of them ever made it as a bank robber. After all that preparation, I wonder why not?

Looking back, I suppose our devoted teachers had probably never robbed a bank themselves and perhaps saw it as a romantic activity that gave purpose to our study of English, Maths, Latin and the rest of our unrelentingly worthy curriculum. Perhaps they hadn't considered the wider context of the 1960s. This was the time of the Great Train Robbers and their lengthy prison sentences, of the Krays, of Mad Frankie Fraser and Jack 'The Hat' McVitie - serious villains with whom a grammar school boy from the leafier suburbs might not wish to tangle; even the very best of us armed with nothing more lethal than an ability to dominate the lineout, or – on a good day – to get one to nip back from outside off stump and climb sharply towards the batsman's ribs.

We were out of our depth and I suppose we knew it. The banks needed to have no fears about us. Years later it would take a different sort of chap altogether to lose billions for them, and I doubt that this new breed bothered much with classical allusions or good grammar.



ANAGRAM CORNER
Anagram corner was close to despair during April.  It proved nigh on impossible to create a decent anagram for David Moyes, and absolutely impossible for Ryan Giggs.  Three gs and a y in only nine letters just isn't playing fair.  Please don't let them appoint Nick Clegg next.

Then, along came a gift!

PATRICK MERCER


MR PRICE RACKET!

And to celebrate that gift, here is a little bonus, also from April's news...

A minister due some expenses
Claimed too many poundses and pences
She should have resigned but abruptly declined -
Then finally came to her senses!

No comments:

Post a Comment